Would they also have Castro rum and Stalin vodka?

by Ivan Osorio on June 30, 2008 · 11 comments

My friend Tom Palmer says that whenever he sees somebody sporting a Che Guevara t-shirt, he likes to ask the wearer, “That’s a great t-shirt; do you have the entire collection?” The wearer usually responds either with a blank stare or by asking Tom what does he mean, to which Tom then responds: “You know, Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot…”

Now I can happily say that the disgusting Che is in the right company in at least one type of merchandise. The photo below was taken recently by a friend in vacation in Italy.

It’s also morbidly fitting that Che’s wine bottle would be decorated with a Cuban flag. He was Argentine, not Cuban, but Cuba is the country upon which he visited the most hell, so his crimes there are for what he should be most remembered. And as long as there are pinheads who would wear a communist mass murderer on their chest, the world will need constant, unremitting, badgering reminding of what Che really did. (Thanks to Philip Blumel for the photo.)

Julio July 1, 2008 at 7:14 am

Effing-A, Ivan!

Brent July 1, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Thank God, someone speaks the truth about Che. I want to throw up every time I see his mug on a t-shirt.

Pepe Johnson July 2, 2008 at 1:49 pm

I proudly wear my anti-Che t-shirt whenever I get the chance. You’ve probably seen it – olive green with a big red circle and bar through Che’s face. People look at me strangely and will even comment to their friends, but they have yet to ask me about it. I’m anxiously waiting for the day when I can educate people…

Mike July 2, 2008 at 9:18 pm

I also have an anti-Che shirt of sort; it is olive green with an image of Ronald Reagan in the “Che” style. More people need to be made aware of Guevara’s philosophical and political peer group; a mass murderers hall of fame perhaps…

Anton July 9, 2008 at 5:35 am

This article is just as biased as the cult around Che. Che was not a nice guy, he was an organized officer and cruelly executed those who went against him.

Although, comparing Che with Hitler and so forth is foolish.

Che's ideals comes from wanting to help the poor people of Latin America, wanting to create a better world to live in for those who weren't fortunate enough to be born into a position of achieving riches. To create a more fair world, where a person didn't have to beg for the money.

Hitler for example, had an ideal that was racist and out to eradicate people who didn't look like him or shared the same religion.

And to say that Cuba was a democratic-social country to begin with, as stated by Paul Berman, is a plain lie. The country was run by a fascist dictator (who took power through a violent revolution supported by USA). This nice guy named Fulgencio Batista have a 30.000-something lives on his hands.

So please, before trying to give an unbiased version of who Che was, you really should try to check out more then one source. Preferably not a source who shares your insanely optimistic beliefs about free market.

Byggaren July 9, 2008 at 7:55 am

Anton: You say that Che had good intentions which is why he can't be compared to Hitler. Do you really think that Hitler or Mussolini had bad intentions? I bet that every dictator has good intentions, i.e his own great cause.

I don't really care about peoples intentions. What I look at is his/hers means to acheive these intentions. For example: If his/hers means incorporate violence against people who doesn't share his/hers intentions then you can compare him/her to other violent dictators.

Edward Hamilton July 12, 2008 at 11:25 am

Castro Rum is already in the US and coming soon to a city near you. http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=355940830

martine anderson August 13, 2008 at 4:46 am

hi

am martine i want to know if u do carry blank t,shite in colour of black if u do let me know the type of payment u accept hope to hear from u ASAP…martine

{ 3 trackbacks }