This week CEI announced the creation of Human Achievement Hour (HAH) to be celebrated at 8:30pm on March 28th 2009 (the same time and date of Earth Hour).

Our press release described ways people might celebrate the achievements of humanity such as eating diner, seeing a film, driving around, keeping the heat on in your home—all things that Earth Hour celebrators, presumably, should be refraining from. In the cheekiest manner, we claimed that anyone not foregoing the use of electricity in that hour is, by default, celebrating the achievements of human beings. Needless to say, the enviros in the blogosphere didn’t take to kindly to our announcement.

Matthew Wheeland, an environmental journalist called the holiday “mind-blowingly strange” and pondered if Earth hour folks are including in their numbers people in countries that don’t have enough electricity to make the choice to turn out their lights. Of course, they don’t have the choice to acquire electricity whereas anyone can choose to stop using human technology if they wish.

In fact, one might even say that they are seething about it–lighting up the various green-oriented blogs with comments such as this sarcastic gem from Jon Petherbridge:

Human achievement hour. Another great idea. I’ll remember how great we all are as I watch the heat mirages rising from the surrounding hoods as my arm hangs out the window during my next July traffic jam.

Or maybe I’ll remember it the next time an American attack aircraft blows up a wedding party in Afghanistan. At least in that example we don’t have to feel bad for the dead Afghanis as they have a sexist culture that we are morally obligated to obliterate, quite literally if necessary. I reckon I’ll celebrate human achievement hour when everybody’s divorced or bisexual and drinking coca-cola in traffic jams on their way to work folding sandwiches for the lawyers and the bankers who we will worship for allowing us to support them by paying on our credit cards.

Go human achievement hour. Pile it on. Diversify, equalize, refinance and over qualify.

I’m feeling better already.

I love and will not give up my electric toothbrush.

They are also attempting to erase any attention directed at HAH, such as the Wikipedia article.

Of course, there are people out there who appreciate what we are trying to say. For example, Rajesh in India writes on his blog:

Coming from India where we routinely suffer power cuts due to mixed-market policies of the government, I found this post from The New Clarion fantastic…Lets use the wavelength of both light and philosophy to keep darkness at bay.

Green and private conservation are fine. We have no problem with an individual (or group) that wants to sit naked in the dark without heat, clothing, or light. Additionally, we’d have no problem with the group holding a pro-green technology rally. That’s their choice. But when this group stages a “global election” with the express purpose of influencing “government policies to take action against global warming,” we have every right as individuals to express our vote for the opposite

If our Human Achievement Hour is at all a dig against Earth Hour, it is so only by the fact that we are pointing out what Earth Hour truly is about: it isn’t pro-earth, it is anti-man and anti-innovation. So, on March 28th I plan to continue “voting” for humanity by enjoying the fruits of man’s mind.

John Bono March 23, 2009 at 7:52 am

Well, you know, in North Korea, every hour is Earth Hour.

Tom March 23, 2009 at 9:56 am

@ John: We should all strive to live like North Korea then!

John Reid March 23, 2009 at 6:48 pm

How about we wait for the EMP Bomb, then instead of earth hour it will be earth forever.

Until then.

"Everybody have fun tonight

Everybody wang chung tonight"

Brian Dunn March 26, 2009 at 4:39 am

It is a shame that many parts of the world lack the plague of consistently reliable electricity to even participate in Earth Hour.

To make sure these pro-Earth "voters" aren't left out in the future, I say we embark on a planet-wide electrification plan to make sure the most remote hovel in a Brazilian rain forest has enough lighting to land a jumbo jet safely in the fog.

Then, these new Earth saviors can join on Earth Hour to flick off the lights and join their wealthy Western citizens of the Earth in feeling all globally active!

Heck, with enough juice, they might be able to live blog their Earth Hour!

Joe G. March 27, 2009 at 9:17 am

I intend to celebrate HAH by turning on every single light inside and outside of my home during that hour. I want the contemporary luddites to understand my appreciation for all things truely progressive!

KT March 27, 2009 at 9:27 am

Human Achievement Hour is a cause I can witness to. Remembering a flight over our blessed nation, leaving Las Vegas, Nevada at midnight, arriving Madison, Wisconsin about 5 in the morning having watched out the window the whole trip. It never became completely dark as the dawn shown in the East before the night could overtake it. I thought of the American inventor of the light bulb and how the earth's populace were blessed with having electricity through diligence of thought and trials and error of one man. I love our country because it honors individual freedom and people may flourish. It is blessed with goodness. Keep the faith, and pray.

Ed March 28, 2009 at 1:05 pm

What a petulant response to Earth Hour. Are you going to hold your breath and stamp your feet, too?

Idiots.

Alan March 29, 2009 at 2:52 am

RE: What a petulant response to Earth Hour…

You must be new here Ed. That's the basic, bottom line resposne to be expected of OpenMarkets. They just aren't gown-ups.

shunha7878 March 28, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Remember, if you turn your lights out, you believe in GW. If you leave your light on, you know it is nothing more then a myth. Lets see who has the most people. Oh, can somebody watch Gore's house and see if his lights go out.

Acksiom March 28, 2009 at 7:29 pm

To celebrate Human Achievement Hour, I watched fansubbed (volunteerism!) anime (multiculturalism!) acquired via p2p networking (communal dehierarchalization! AND anticopyrightism!) that was being digitally projected on an 120" screen (homist anticombustionism!) with a friend, explaining some of the trophes to him so he could better understand his daughter's appreciation of the genre (paternal-involvement encouragementism!) while he was also instant messaging people around the world (social e-networkingism!) on a wireless handheld picocomputer smaller than a paperback (resource conservationism!).

Woohoo! Look at me, Ed — I'M HELLLLPINNNNNNG!

Mark March 29, 2009 at 1:25 am

I plan to start every machine in my shop at 8:30 PM, that's about 5500 watts. Then every light outside, in the garage, the driveway lights, all lights in the house, Range, dishwasher, Laundry(washer and electric dryer), turn up the thermostat on the Hot water tank, the furnace if its chilly or the AC if it tends to be too warm. This should use about 30,000 watts for about an hour. During this time take an extra long hot shower.

I am not going back to the stone age becaise some leftist looney environmental weenie says it is so, or President 'Zero' thinks it should be that way.

Alan March 29, 2009 at 3:08 am

RE: I am not going back to the stone age…

With your petulant, inconsiderate response to some a sincere initiative, you might want to consider the possibility that you are already back in the stone age. Keep banging those rocks together!

DetroitTowers March 29, 2009 at 6:31 am

All I have heard on the 'government-media complex' mainstream news media radio outlets such as KNX radio, KCBS radio, ABC radio, CNN radio, etc. was the World Wildlife Funds talkingpoints about the mandate that this so-called "Earth Hour" gives them.

The attempts at indoctrination are breathtaking, the "progressive" politicians in cahoots with the enviro-MENTAL-LOSSts seizing the airwaves and peddling guilt, peer pressure, et al. as their typical pages from a playbook that uses these techniques to influence and control the thoughts and behavior of their fellow human beings. Control freaks, micro-manager, wanna-be puppet masters always use various tactics, techniques, and strategies to control others. Aaaaaah, but being an astute observer of the human behavioral model, I, for one, can see these things a mile a way.

To quote Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend, John Entwistle, and the late, great Keith Moon — "I Can See for Miles and Miles and Miles and Miles and Miles…….You Know That I Can"

New book out that is pertinent to this out-and-out "power" grab (pun fully intended):

'Green Hell' [How Environmentalists Plan to Control Your Life and What You Can Do to Stop Them] by Steve Milloy

Ed March 29, 2009 at 8:41 am

OpenMarket looks like quite the collection of mouth-breathing yutzes.

I wonder if they all work out of the same basement….

Steve April 6, 2009 at 10:22 am

Hmm…. You can burn your lights to celebrate human achievement all you want, but you will not be able to stave off the impending global climate crisis by ignoring it. Burn your to illuminate your ignorance!

{ 3 trackbacks }