Here are some regulatory bloopers I’ve uncovered recently:
- Burping in church is illegal in Nevada unless it’s accidental.
- In Arkansas, it is illegal to spend more than five minutes voting.
- Los Angeles city regulations place a limit of one rooster per household.
- If you buy a burger on a Sunday in Oklahoma, you are legally required to eat it in the restaurant. No takeout or drive-through allowed.
- In Texas, “No person may possess, manufacture, transport, or sell an illicit beverage.” Licit beverages are allowed.
- Reptile sellers in Illinois are required by law to advise customers to not “muzzle or kiss your pet reptile.”
- The Texas House of Representatives once unanimously passed a resolution honoring the Boston Strangler. The resolution’s sponsor wanted to point out to his colleagues that they should read bills before voting on them.
- In 2008, the city of Brighton, Michigan, made it illegal to be annoying.